Remember that the proximity is flexible. In one proximity of elements and relationships, some elements may have higher rank or importance than the same elements in other proximities with different elements and relationships. You can substitute ProxSet for proximity and the same is true. Knowing this can help you understand different points of view. It can help you understand the strengths and weaknesses of different proximities and ProxSets in relationship to your situation. It can also help flexibility, as you can perhaps change proximities or ProxSets to change rankings and hierarchies.
Relate Other PPs
The ProxPatterns are an integrated group of related patterns for relating to situations. By the Limits of One, any single ProxPattern has limits. In your proximity or situation, how does this ProxPattern relate to others?
1. For your situation, in the proximity generally or more specifically in ProxSets,
2. Possibly in relationship with other PPs,
3. To help with the Core Idea,
4. How can you relate to ways the rank, hierarchy or importance of elements depends on the proximity or ProxSet?
Once you get comfortable with this Rank Depends ProxPattern, you may discover how some rankings and differences have value, and need ways to persist, adapt and change (see Vadi Agreements).
• What does the current hierarchy or ranking in your proximity look like? How would rankings change if you changed some elements in the proximity?
• How can two people each seem coherent yet disagree? What they each see as the proximity of the situation may differ. How could you use ProxAwareness and Rank Depends to perhaps smooth a transition?
• How does what you think is important differ from what someone else thinks is important? What would happen if one or both of you changed some elements in your proximities? What elements or changes might help? Or, the new element Relate a Variety might suggest you agree to disagree.
• What situations could be improved with the addition of this Rank Depends ProxPattern?
• How do the strengths of the element you are considering depend on your proximity or ProxSet? What about the weaknesses? How does this affect the elements you can change in your proximity or ProxSet?
• How could changing the proximity or ProxSet improve flexibility by allowing movement between different rankings of elements?
A wealthy person or the person in charge is not always the most powerful or important person in a situation. Someone with skill, talent, knowledge, or connections which better relate to the current proximity or situation may be more valuable.
Trash vs. Treasure
One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. One person can be difficult for some people to understand, and easy for others. It’s a matter of the different proximities or ProxSets of the people involved in the situation.
Shorting a Stock
Shorting a stock in the stock market is a way to make money, even though the price is going down. So someone with a proximity or ProxSet that includes knowledge of shorting stocks may rank a falling market differently than someone who doesn’t know about shorting stocks. They may be enthusiastic about a falling market.